Thread: Crazy UV Map
View Single Post
# 4 05-02-2013 , 02:13 AM
Maya Animation Newb
Thanks for the reply guys!

You can create new UVs at any time by selecting your object and doing a different type of UV projection. I would recommend UVing just one part of your model at a time, otherwise it won't be manageable. Is it all one mesh? Typically the parts are different objects and you can UV one at a time. Hope that makes sense.

It is currently all one object. Again, I wasn't sure how to go about this because I had been watching a tutorial (for maya) where the person blocked out a character and then started blocking out the arms of the fabric all on the same model. Unfortunately, he didn't upload the rest of it past the blocking stage, so I proceed on my own. I don't plan on anything to really move on the character interms of clothing, except the hat and the cape, so I kept it on one object. I can select them separately though (ie, if I select faces on the armlet and click shift+. it will select all the faces but stop at the end of the armlet. Same goes for the shoes, laces on the shoes, cape area, arms, and hat. Should I remove all these pieces into entire separate objects?

Also @ctbram - I was aware it was for blender, blender is a program I had used before and I had just been looking for a simple way to cut a human figure. I have trouble wrapping my head around the UV stuff, so I just wanted to kind of find out where one would even place seams on a human character.

Thanks both of you!