Thread: Nvidia or AMD?
View Single Post
# 10 02-03-2013 , 02:05 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

Am I the only living human being that has the problem where maya stops refreshing the screen and the channel box and the outliner go blank using nvidia?

This is NOT an isolated problem! I have had this on every machine that I try to run maya on since maya 2010 an up to 2013.

I have had this same problem with evga 285, 470, 480, and 570 cards!

Ironically, the least frequent crashing and overall best performance was on my gtx 285.

Ever since my 285 had to be replaced, the problem occurs so often and I have be unable to use maya at all! With the current evga gtx 570HD 2.5GB card maya stops refreshing the screen constantly (I cannot get 10 minutes of modeling done!) and now when it hangs I can save but I cannot exit! You try to exit and the program just keeps running in the messed up state where it does not refresh! The only way to exit is to kill the process, which screws up the prefs file.

The bottom line is it's impossible to get any work done because my train of thought keeps getting interrupted and I have to spend ten minutes out of every ten minutes saving, killing maya, fixing the prefs file, and restarting maya!

Many keep saying that this is an isolated issues but I have had it now on EVERY god damn machine I have tried to run maya on, like 5 different machines and 4 different nvidia cards, five if I count the 9800GT I tried as a test.

I have a project I was working on for Dave for going on a year and just cannot get it done. I have had a couple opportunities to get maya projects that I have lost or had to turn down because I cannot fix this problem and cannot afford to just keep throwing money at graphics cards in the hopes the problem will go away!

I have begged autodesk for more then a year to look into this problem and all I am told is they are aware the problem does exist but they do not know what the cause is, nor are they making any attempt to find a solution because geforce cards are not supported and the problem does not happen frequently enough (and I am guessing none of the big companies that use maya are bitching about it, so basically they are sayaing you are a peon so go piss off!).

Dude honestly get a quadro card, there are even cheap versions and you will never have to worry about gui problems. Gaming cards are specifically for that....just gaming