Thread: Face modeling
View Single Post
# 14 17-01-2014 , 02:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Poly by poly modelling is fine....but.....for me I prefer box modelling, purely based on three facts. Firstly because its how I learned to do it, secondly I prefer it to poly by poly and thirdly and this is the important bit...you get to check form and volume from the absolute beginning of the model, I find with the strip method you are building it up as you go.....

As for ears, easy....you can build a complex one from 8 polys, I did this for the sites Chef Ramsay Tute. Its a very fast approach.

As mentioned you can use Zbrush from a dynamesh and then go down the retopo route, but use something like 3d coat to it as its faster. Zremesher will get it to a point but it doesnt quite align the geo properly for a 'default' head.

Theres no real quick way to do a proper head model unless its cartoonish. But if you do decide to do a head from references be prepared for every possible form of crit...heads are difficult to do and its always always the last 10% that make the difference that will make or break it...

Above all just enjoy it and build up your skills and observations.....and get outside crit off of forums, you'll improve quicker....

Jay