View Single Post
# 12 24-06-2015 , 07:45 PM
Noober than noob

You could add the two layers, then use the alpha channel as a mask for all layers.

The alpha channel looks like this, so it does not cover the areas I'd like covered. Must be because my glass is made of a blinn with low transparency. The specular does not show where transparency is low unless there's something else with higher alpha behind it.
user added image

for starters heres my tutorial into creating glass.....that should get things kicked off nicely

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=164&sub_cat=0

Thank you, so I guess this means I can't just make glass using blinn or phong with transparency, I'd have to use dielectric material.
Although with dielectric I'm getting a different problem: the refraction index is tied to the specular. If I want 1.05 r.i. my specular is gone. When r.i. is higher than 1.6 (not the r.i. I need) the specular begins to appear, however it is weaker with a transparent background. The sand in the hourglass also gets darker the higher the r.i. gets.
user added image
user added image
Is it mandatory that I use NURBS with dielectric? Or do Polygon Primitives work too?

Last edited by SilverFeather; 24-06-2015 at 07:52 PM.