View Single Post
# 1 20-04-2003 , 10:46 AM
Subscriber

Discussion: feasability of setting up a studio

I was just wondering over breakfast this morning, what the pitfalls of someone actually setting up a studio from scratch would be...Of course it would be a difficult proposition - u need to have financial backing let alone the skills to create demand for ur service. And then of course u have to think about competition. Would it be a feasible option to actually set-up a studio? As we all know there are many cg artists out there struggling to find employment on an occasional basis let alone on a long term one.

There is certainly untapped talent out there.

Recently my brother and his friend moved out to Botswana to set up a film company. They noticed a niche there...and as an up and coming country, Botswana has seen them contracted with film projects, adverts (shown across South Africa), and documentaries. Had they set up a company here, they probably wouldnt have got off the ground so quickly if at all. So u see there are possibilities in the media sector. I guess u just need to find that niche. Would setting up a new studio need to follow along the same lines in order to survive i.e.would a new studio have to go looking for demand before it came looking for them? Thinking about that now its probably the case.

So, if we use a hypothetical situation...i.e. if we here were to set up our own studio...what would be our chances of not only survival, but also growth or progression? What would we need for success? Could we survive?

discuss...