View Single Post
# 5 21-04-2003 , 01:02 AM
This is a really cool topic to discuss. In the course that I am on at the moment at uni people have talked about this very idea for the same reasons: untapped talent. It would be fantastic to be able to run your own studio etc etc and in theory it all seems not to unobtainable.

However the grim reality is that other larger more estabilshed companies will almost always win through simply cause of money (and that sucks!). although I think that after quite a few years of being in the industry going freelance and then eventually starting up a company is a definate possibility. One thing to think about though is why do you want to start the company? I guess for most of us it would be to use Maya 24/7 and get paid to do it, but again the reailty is that you would probably spend most of your time chasing contracts and filling out tax returns rather than getting creative and having fun! user added image

I know this all sounds a bit pessimistic user added image but here's one thing for you to think about: I met this guy where I used to live in brighton and i was a web programmer at the time. He told me about his company that he started https://www.opticalarena.com and asked me to freelance for him. I guess he doesnt make a huge deal out of it but he's doing what he enjoys and is his own boss! But when there's no work then he's a bit screwed really! But he shares studio space with two other self employed people in the same industry so costs are shared and that makes it easier I guess. This little story proves it's possible but it's definatley not an easy road!

Ok I'll stop my rambling now and let someone sensible take over!! user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB