View Single Post
# 1 22-06-2003 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber

Your advice... few second of your time.

OK guys. I am a graphic/industrial/multimedia....designer. Anyway I am obsessed with Maya :-(

I need some advice. I wake up at 5.30 every morning and I travel 3 hours everyday by train to get to my job. At work I don't get much chance to play with Maya. I have Maya 4.5 at work. When I get home at 7.30/8pm I am knocked out although I lift myself up and try to learn as much as I can on Maya 4.5 at home.

I have am Athlon 2000XP + machine Nvidia 4600Ti Video card at home.

Now what I can't decide is this-

1. Should I get Maya 5 or just keep using Maya 4.5 for learning. By the time I get little better I could buy the next version ie. 5.5 or 6. Am i really missing out too much by not having Version 5???

2. Should I buy a laptop to use my time more properly to learn Maya??? I could watch the VTM on the train :-)

3. I don't think I could afford to buy the laptop and Maya 5 at the same time. ( imean I have the money but....)

4. I am also thinking of going freelance in 6 to 12 months time. Then I will probably need a new powerfull desktop PC.

So with the long term in mind I can't decide what would be a good investment ie.

Choice1- Get a laptop and Maya 5 now. Use the laptop to learn now and in 1 year to take it to the client.
Choice 2-Get a laptop but stick with Maya 4.5 for now.
Choice 3-Get Maya 5 and no laptop (sleep in the train :-)
Choice4- Get a laptop and Maya 5 now. Use the laptop to learn now and in 1 year to take it to the client + buy a new workstation then.
Choice5- Any combo you can think of :-)))))

I really can't decide what will be a good investment? I used to be so reckless with money but since I got married I always think 5 times before I spend CASH!!!

P.S- I don't have any kids or will ever have so no responsibilities from that side. Please I would like to get some advice from you guys.

Last edited by slickrenderer; 22-06-2003 at 07:08 PM.