View Single Post
# 5 24-07-2003 , 09:10 PM
Subscriber
I was sponsored by the British Army at University (only for the last few years) and joined afterwards, although being a Doctor who chose a surgical speciality I spent a lot of my service outside the army rather than in it as we don't have big military hospitals like some countries. In some places professionals who are in the Army are devalued as second rate but that's not really the case in the UK, fortunately.

I come from a military family with a long history of commissioned service, but I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. Plus now I have left (I have been a civilian for about 2 years now) I have my medical career which, by happy coincidence and due to the arrmy sending me to some rather fun places, is further advanced that that of my peers. Best of both worlds.

I know a lot of people slam the armed forces, but I got to find out things about myself I would never have done, travel, get shot at (not a highlight) and gain a great deal of command experience that comes in very handy now.

If the army and a profession coincide it is a marriage made in heaven, but only if you really want to do both the professional and the army part in equal measure, in my view. To be a good professional soldier you have to really want to be one, just like any job really. And you have to want to pursue your profession 100% or you won't get 100% back, imho.

Just my 2 cents as they say.

Last edited by Witchy; 24-07-2003 at 09:15 PM.