Thread: server help
View Single Post
# 4 27-10-2003 , 01:57 PM
oh ok fair enough, but my point about whole lot of pain still stands! user added image. If you are using windows server 2000 then you will undoubtabely be using IIS (Internet Information Services) which is MS's own web server software. You need to install it from the win 2k disc (or your install disk) it's tehre under options somewhere.

With that done it will create a folder in c:\ called inetpub and in there is where all your web pages live. If you type in https://localhost assuming everything is setup correctly you should see the default windows web page setup there. If you change that page to be your own then you (and anyone accessing your machine over the net will see that page too). Now one word for you SECURITY! IIS is very leaky and prone to security compromises! you need to ensure you keep very up to date with this sort of thing (especially if you value the stuff on your computer). You can setup different shared folders on your computer to allow people access to them from the web etc. once again be careful what you share! Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall, Install a firewall! got it? user added image

There is a control panel for the iis services (if I remember correctly it's under "manage" if you right click "my computer". And there you can tweak a whole buch of stuff set up some security options etc etc.

Good luck and if you can I would set this up on a local network before going public with it just so you can get your feet wet. Remember that you will need a static IP address in order to use a domain name that will point to your computer.

hope this helps a bit

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB