View Single Post
# 9 05-01-2010 , 03:18 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by NextDesign
Italian is good as well, and (probably) easier to learn than most other languages. You need to put into perspective what you will use the language for.

Italian does seem a lot easier to me than Japanese, and I seem to be able to pick it up faster. I'd probably use Japanese if the game company I will one day hopefully work for needed someone that spoke Japanese, but the thing is most Japanese businessmen speak English! I want to learn Italian becauseā€¦ well, I'm Italian! It would help a little with my genealogy search and some of my family is starting to learn Italian too.

Originally posted by Joopson
Chinese is more of a business language. I say go for Italian. Also, where on Earth are you going to College?

Yeah, but not for the game industry. I go to The Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago. Fun stuff, bro. lol

Originally posted by hammer.horror
I lived in Japan for a little over a year. I was in a fairly rural area and when i arrived i spoke no Japanese, but got on fine. I went to classes over there and learned a bit, but some people i know never learned any. They could manage no problem.
If you go to somewhere like Tokyo people will speak to you in English. They will be impressed you are trying, but will still speak to you in English.

See, that's my main point. If I did visit Japan, I'd definitely pick up, but not at the level I'm at now. I'd probably go for more of a "Japanese For Travelers" level than Rosetta Stone all the way.

Originally posted by gster123
If your getting on with it ok so far why not carry it on??

Seems a shame to drop something if you enjoy it.

The thing is I'm not getting on with it ok. I haven't studied it in a while (almost 4 months!). And I don't enjoy it all the time. It's hard to teach yourself a language, but Japanese just makes it worse with all their rules and special things.

Originally posted by DJProfK
Akirame naide! - Don't give up!

3 years of "hard" work gone? That doesn't seem the best choise at all.

If you can continue to learn japanese, do it, then learn italian too.

I'm also learning japanese, but i only started a few months ago, also learning when i have free time or a cool head for it.

I don't know if it was necessarily hard work, since I was learning it on and off and never found myself committed to it for a long time. :blush: I'm not bashing Japanese in any way, I'm just wondering which would be better for me to do.