View Single Post
# 68 17-01-2010 , 05:18 AM
I have a question for you guys with more texturing experience then me. In this model I have a lot of tiny bits that are stuck into the main geometry.

Take the doohicky on the top of the nose, just in front of the canopy. Suppose I want the stripe to go over it. How should I go about that?

I thought maybe I could try 3d paint tool and paint some marks where the strip crosses over it and then use the marks as a guide in PS. But to start with every time I pick 3d paint tool I just get the freaking circle with an X through it saying I cannot paint on the object.

I could just do a planar projection and stick the thing on top of the nose uv layout but that seems like I'd get scolded at by the veteran modelers / texture painters.

I could give it its own texture space, unwrap it and then put a stripe through it and just get it to match by trial and error. This seems kinda crude and I have so many other parts that will have the same issue. All the panels on the tail, wing, and engine casing for instance.

I took the last couple days off because I have not been feeling well. But I am ready to get back to it. I must warn you all I am not a very good painter but I am doing my best. I seem to spend hours and then render and go back and erase all my work and start over, so I don't ever seem to make any forward motion.

Here is kinda where I am at. I know it sucks and I went crazy on distressing the panel lines and I plan to do the whole thing over again. But you can see the thing I want the stripe to go over and the other panels that are stuck into the geometry.

user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 17-01-2010 at 05:27 AM.