View Single Post
# 177 08-05-2010 , 10:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Modeling with Blendshapes

Hey All

Ive been having to model alot of same objects recently at work and it can as we all know become a bit tedious when it comes to it.

Now in my case Ive been modelling buildings with as I said alot of repetative parts. I have to create proxy objects first, put on their uv's then go back dupe the object and then create a hi res one from it. This is all great but when you have to add loops to the same object over and over it gets a bit crap, and I really dont want to be moving stuff about once its in position, so here's what Ive figured out and have been doing....

Now I like to try different stuff, and not just use commands or options for what they are originially intended, so its good to think outside the box and push things forward a bit quicker

So first off all image1 Ive created a pillar and duplicated it across a few times:

user added image

Ive then fed the extra objects into the original as blendshapes on the default setting. In image 2:

user added image

Then on the original object with the shapes all fed in I then add my edge loops to the original topology. Image 3...

user added image

Then image 4 is where we add the magic. By going to the edit deformer menu> Blendshape> Bake topology and with the original shape selected watch all your other pillars take on the new geometry. Image 4:

user added image

give it a try.

Jay