View Single Post
# 1 12-03-2009 , 05:47 AM

Large number of dynamic objects

Hello. I'm been a Maya newbie for a little over a year now :p , and the thing that has always given me the most pain is dynamics. So I've been running some tests to try to work it out, and my main problem is that when I have a large number of dynamic objects they won't animate.

I made a large block of cubes by using "duplicate special" to duplicate one cube along the x axis a few times, then selecting that whole line of cubes and duplicating them along the z axis, then selecting all of the cubes and duplicating them along the y axis to create a block of maybe 50 or 100 cubes total.

Then I select them all, and go "create active rigid body", then I select them all again and apply a turbulence field or something to test them.

I hit the play button, but the problem is that it just plays through the entire sequence length with no animation at all. I know that a dynamics scene with 50 dynamic objects will take a long time to calculate and play, but it never says "Calculating...press escape to interrupt", and it never freezes up. It just plays the whole sequence with no dynamic animation at all.

Smaller numbers of cubes in a block, like 10 or 20, will sometimes animate, but never a larger number.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!