View Single Post
# 23 15-05-2004 , 09:37 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hi Ralph

Thanks for your nice comments, I appreciate it. So your a newbie huh to Maya and you want to learn more. Well my advice first and it may sound a bit stupid but you just really need to learn the basics first. It sounds obvious I know but the problem is, when people see good work they go 'Oh wow I'd love to do that!!!' and then find its a bit of a mountain to climb and give up because they're trying to do something thats beyond their skills at that point in time, believe me I've done it!!!

I would tinker around with simple tutorials from sites like this, there are plenty of good people here to help too or you can try www.Learning Maya.com they have tons of stuff there. Also www.Alias.com they have lots of advice too.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself too!! I literally breathe Maya 24/7 cos I've been using it at work every day for the last 4 years, so I know a bit about it. It will get frustrating at times when stuff isn't going right. Also get plenty of reference for your models ,anything from a-z, but good reference is essential!!! Also try and start with low - medium res modelling, people can over do it with polys at times too. Also plan ahead , it can save you hrs of work.

I sit down and draw stuff most of the time before I even touch the Pc. The pic of the Sheriff was actually done last february would you believe and so was the Alien that is also on this forum.

I hope this helps you in your quest!!!
Good luck. Anything else you need to ask... do!!

Jango