View Single Post
# 7 12-01-2004 , 07:18 PM
Subscriber
Okay. Applied the DMap and have questions.

The tessellation of some of the smooth geometry is being distorted (#1) by the DMap features. What can be done to eliminate/improve the distortion?

The quality of the features is far less than I had hoped for (#2). I am currently applying a single 2048x2048 DMap to the entire object -- the "nose" of the spaceship. I have pre-filter on the DMap set to 2.0, Quadratic. In the model DMap settings, I have the Initial and Extra Sample Rates maxed out to 100 and 50, respectively. This has driven my render time (on a dual 2.8Ghz w/ 2GB RAM machine) to over 8 minutes at 640x480, Production Quality. To improve detail, should I be applying individual DMaps to specific faces, or is there a better way? Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong...?

Also, not all of the bends in the model geometry are being picked up by the wireframe view. This caused me to place DMap features across bends that I would not have, had I realized the bend was there. Is there a way to increase the detail level of the wireframe?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by james_s; 12-01-2004 at 07:40 PM.