View Single Post
# 5 05-03-2005 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber

Re: Best Open GL VCard

Originally posted by Anhslaught
Ok everyone, I got an ATI 9800 xt videocard and am wondering what is the best card used for rendering. I recently rendered a project on Adobe Premier Pro with all the effects, color correction and transitions applied and it took 26 hours!! It was a 1 hour 20 minute video, so what card for the PC would help boost up the rendering speed. From what I've heard, Maya and Premier are both Open GL, so whats your opinion?

Okay, so you're trying to render with lots of bells and whistles. What resolution was the render. Your video card can handle the display. Super Trooper nailed it in that the processor is what does the majority of the rendering computation. If you're determined to get video card, make it workstation card and not a gamer's card, at least if you're serious about doing this a lot. Just remember, "you can put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig."

Other factors:
- Hard drive speed. If you're planning to do alot of video, go for a high speed drive. Standard use is around 7200 RPM, fastest run around 12,000 RPM.
- Multitasking. Disable, close, exit, etc. any unnecessary programs running in foreground or background.
- Record to a clean partioned drive... i.e. defrag thoroughly
- Effects used. Effects are processor intensive, use only those that have direct impact or bearing on the render.

Finally, establish realisitic expections. You may be able to reduce your render time, but don't expect it to be real-time... at least not yet... we'll get that technology someday.

Happy rendering.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 05-03-2005 at 10:29 PM.