View Single Post
# 30 19-04-2003 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber
I think you have to keep going at it and every time you learn something new then, the next time you are working on a model and you just do that thing you think, wow I actually learnt something! It might help to stand back from your model and think last week I could not have done that, not, wow someone else would have done that better.

I'd recommend starting with some tutorials- the ones on this site are excellent and I learnt some jolly things from them. I bought a couple of books as well. I'm sure some people can just pick up modelling from messsing about with the programme, but I have found the structure of tutorials helpful myself.

I look at other peoples work and think I can't do that now, I may never do that, but I'm going to keep trying to improve. Maya is an incredibly complex programme; you can't master it overnight. I doubt, as it is a hobby thing for me and I don't have time to do much with it but dabble, that I will ever master it, but as long as every model is a teeny bit better than the last or does something new, that's enough for me. I don't have any aspirations to do this for a living though.

Finding a forum where experienced people are willing to help is a real bonus I think. The other forums I have visited tend to have a lot of people who are intolerant of total noobies and people that ask questions and indeed amateurs- thats not the case here at all and that's really great I think. I have also found the challenges useful to focus on something to model.

Modelling is just like web spinning though for me- if at first, second and third you don't succeed, try try again. After all hidden in everyones maya folder are some things they would rather forget too user added image

Last edited by Witchy; 19-04-2003 at 07:19 PM.