Thread: Dune Worm
View Single Post
# 1 22-11-2006 , 12:55 PM

Dune Worm

Hi!
I haven't done an organic model in a very long time, and I am reading the book Dune by Frank Herbert, the sci-fi classic. That book is really good, and so I'm inspired to model the gigantic sand worms from the book.

I've pulled up some "references" and I will start modeling very soon!

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

I actually found this on Wikipedia- info about the sandworms from the book:

"Sandworms are presumed to be animals, most likely related to Terran annelids, though probably only through convergent evolution. They are cylindrical creatures with no significant appendages, though with trifaceted jaws. The Encyclopedia of Dune's identification of their genus as "Geonemotodium" is most likely invalid, as the segmentation is like that of the terrestrial annelids, rather than simple round-worm nematodes. Like terrestrial annelids, each segment has its own autonomous nervous control; they are described as being "incredibly tough." Thus, a worm can only be killed by electrocution of every segment, by another sandworm, or by exposure to a large enough amount of water (poisonous to the adult sandworm). It also is hinted at in the original novel that a nuclear explosion might be capable of destroying one.

Sandworms grow up to hundreds of meters in length. The largest worms officially observed reach 400 meters in length and 40 meters diameter, although Paul Atreides becomes a sandrider by summoning a worm around half a league in length or 2,778 meters.[1] As the worms seem to retain an aspect ratio of 10:1 of body length to diameter, thus, a worm encountered in the deep desert by Muad'Dib that had an oral diameter of 80 meters could have been as long as 800. These gigantic worms burrow deep in the ground and their constant motion around Arrakis is presumed to be the cause for the sand covering the globe."

Live the life you love, love the life you live