View Single Post
# 1 17-11-2010 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber

Freelance Work in CG

Hi guys,

it's that time of year for another rant, where do I start,

I had the displeasure of working for a bunch of shysters, I got the job via Gradauate advantage which is a UK organisation, that helps university graduates into paid work,

which sounds good right? wrong, I was contacted by an employee at grad adv who told me about a conpany thay were holding a competition called the "Geek factor Competition" where thet get talented artists and pit them against each other, to make a social network game,

the winning team would as a result get a paid 3 month contract,
it all sounded good to me so I filled out the application form and to my joy found out that I met the requirments to compete,

i'm gonna skip ahead now, my team won the comp, and we all were given a 3 month contract,

now this is where it all goes down the crapper, first off the original agreement was we get paid £250 weekly, however the CEO Jude, (who is female by the way)

did not, she told us that because they were a small company that paying us monthly would be easier for her as she did not have any admin people,

as my collegues would find out on our first monthly pay day this was a false statment, we had to wait a further 3.5 weeks which meantwe worked 7.5 weeks without any moeny,

thats even the worst part, the worst part was the CEO and her band of cronies were constantly making excuses and dodging every question we asked regarding pay,

so after the 1st month everyone but me left the company,

so, me being the kind and forgiving peson that I am I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and remain working for them,
payment issue pop up from time to time maybe this was just a one off,

what a mistake, the CEO and her band of misfits were all like" well done you have proven yourself to be a hard worker" blah blah blah,

telling me they would put me on the payroll and everything, it was a lie they were just sweet talking me,

all they were after were, high quality work that they were not capable of doing themselves,

get this, I was the perfect employee, I worked hard got everything done on time not olny that but fixed other peoples currupt files and work, and did it with a smile on my face,

then came that unfaithful day, when I missed a sigle deadline,
now I know what you guys will say deadlines are important, which i'm more then aware of, however the reason I missed it,

I was working on a a trailer for one of their games, and it was an elaborate one at that, it consisted of a set if DJ decks turning into a transfomer robot and dancing, like the the citroen car advert,
they wanted all this in less then a week eek:

all was going fine until the COO drops another project on me even though he knew I was already working on something that had to be in that very week, I even told him this,

but he made me do it, in short it caused me to miss the deadline,

now, this is when the cronies turned into a pack of wolves and tore into me,

saying I cant follow orders, and i'm a slacker, :angery:

i was working my ass of trying to get all this done, I was a single person doing the work of a 5 man team,

I told the COO to name one company that has a single individual who does the modelling, uv mapping, texturing, rigging, lighting, rendering, and all the post production work,

wanna know what his answer was? " then whey dont you go work for on of those other companies",

the nerve, he's lucky i'm not a violent person otherwise, I would have sent him to the hospital,

anyway long story short they messed me about with my second payment which took 5 weeks after the paydate for them to pay me,

and fired me, without any warnings or giving me any notice, beacuse I started asking them about why it was talking so long for my money to come through,

the company is the modern day version of a sweatshop, they take advantage of people, mess people around with money, they constantly lie and dodge questions, they bully people who work for them,

and are unprofessional, check out the link to see what I mean
https://img194.imageshack.us/f/marcoperezemails.jpg/

I cant show you the other stuff but it would turn your stomachs if you guys knew how I was treated,

so, any of you who are looking for work within the UK steer clear of this company they use governmet grants to stay afloat, and use schemes which are there to help graduates and use them to take advatage of artists,

I know they are currently looking for saps to work for them , please dont fall for it

Last edited by jali; 17-11-2010 at 01:30 PM.