View Single Post
# 41 01-01-2010 , 06:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thanks G-Man, one of the few people that I trust with my life.
However just so my words come across AGAIN

dude I dont have to prove anything to anyone. Im the one sitting in the studio all day working this stuff out with people, FX sups and various TDs, and Im the one whose tutes are sitting on your computer. And I say this with sincerity and not big headedness, as its really not me.

Its purely from my own experience and interest to get people on the right track with their modelling and from my own experience I can tell you whats good and bad. I am advising you do it for the better.

I didnt say dont use an Ngon, I said I use them, albeit 4 sided. Most of the tri stuff out there are for game models though saying that theres probably more quads these days because of the allowed high poly counts just check out Gears of War 1 and 2 - great examples in both. Still come rendertime and its all tri's regardless.

LOL well if we are going to name drop too....

My colleague Steven Stalhberg uses 5 sides very very sparingly, Ive even quoted the man himself mate. He actually doesnt recommend them. I have learnt from him in the past.

ILM modeller Tariq Merza is a man whose dvd you really need to buy...he opens a serious can of modelling whoopass. It will enlighten you.

Check out Jeff Unay of Weta, he just finished Avatar as Lead Modeller. His Dvd which is a couple of years old now is still worth its weight in gold. theres a section on it where he shows you how to eleimate those extra faces like 5's plus. very cool.

Check out Bay Raitt...Gollum Modeller...need I say more.

the smooth key 3 doesnt 'make' tris its just the smoothing algorythm kicking in in the open GL. I dunno where I modeled the 'physical' tris on that one - there arent any -the only tris that will be present are those that will be generated like in all renders and thats at rendertime. I just checked for my own sanity LOL

But after the reeling off of those other great DVD resellers for their modelling tutes, I dont generally buy them as they reach a point where they are...well... the same. The rest as they say comes with experience.

Also theres a topology thread on SM, worth taking a peak.

Onwards....

Jay