View Single Post
# 6 03-03-2003 , 02:40 PM
I'm sorry to inform you that these products are not for people to have at home. Not even many companies have them as they are so expensive and need so much expertese. Most 3d studios, gaming companies etc. contract specialized companies to do their mocap and it's generally really expensive. You can also buy stock mocap but that is expensive as well (about 100 dollars for each animation I think).

The prices for a relatively cheap mocap wich is the MotionStar and is magnectic with wires costs 25000$ and I think to have an optical system you are getting closer to 100000$ or more.

A good thing about for example Character Studio for Max is that you get lots of sample data that you can use for your animations... There are probably cheaper stock cd:s out there but I'm not aware of them.

To hire a studio is quite expensive but you can have it as cheap as for 2000$/day. Then the animations have to be cleaned and that could cost more.

This is the reason why smaller gaming companies use hand animations even if mocap would suit them better... user added image