View Single Post
# 6 20-11-2002 , 06:33 AM
SM Alumni
MentalRay will render anything in Maya except for Paint Effects, Fur, and Image Planes. I haven't tried rendering subdivs so I'm not sure if you can render them or have to use Mental Ray settings.

MentalRay is easy to use and the results are incredible, puts all those grainy renderers to shame user added image

To render using MentalRay, simply go to the Rendering menus. Choose the MentalRay menu item and go to Render Globals. If you want to use the same settings as in Maya's Render Globals leave things at derive from Maya and then choose Render from under the MentalRay menu. But the true power of MentalRay comes when you start playing around user added image

Go back to the MentalRay/Render Globals menu item, for Frame Buffer choose Window, you'll now see a new tab come up in the attribute editor. Choose your image type and image size there (MentalRay doesn't render to .iff so I suggest you use .tga to render, it's a high quality format user added image). Next, where you can set quality choose Production. Now another tab appears for the Production settings. Here is where you can turn on GI, caustics, Final Gathering, change the sampling,etc.

Toss those other plugins out, MentalRay is the real deal user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.