View Single Post
# 7 25-05-2006 , 04:08 PM

Here is what I have

This is what I own that is relevant to you. I can't really comment on other things but I can tell you about how this works for me:

Adobe Production Studio
Maya 7 unlimited
Macromedia Studio MX

Flash:

First, Flash (included in Macromedia package) is good for websites and short animation/cartooning. You can make things only in 2-D but of course you can make it look 3-D with shadow effects and animation. To do the cool effects you see on most good Flash websites you will need to learn Actionscripting. THere is a moderate learning curve there for sure. My conclusion: good for website building.

Maya:

Maya obviously works in 3-D. From my limited knowledge and the advice of pros in tutorials, you can do a heck of a lot without ever learning the Maya MEL language. To me, following well-written tutorials I have been able to create some great things in Maya. The learning curve is only really figuring out the extensive menues. Once you've got that down, you can create to your hearts content. I am addicted to it.

One thing is that I would recommend you own Photoshop whatever other animation program you choose. You will need to map textures in Maya, or alter pictures extensively no matter what program you choose.

Maya unlimited includes add-on ability for Maya Fluid Effects; Maya Cloth; Maya Hair; Maya Fur, and Maya Live. These are great.

So: If you have the money, I would recommend you buy

1) Adobe photoshop
2) Maya 7 unlimited

As far as packages are concerned, it really depends on what you want to do: You can get Photoshop packages with Flash (Adobe Video Bundle) but these packages might be a little pricey and have too many other programs you may not need). Compare the packages at Adobe website.

I recently made a science animation and this is what I used: Maya to build the models > Photoshop to map the textures to the models > Maya to animate and render the animation > Adobe Premiere to take the rendered images from Maya and build a video file > Adobe Encore DVD with Photoshop to make a DVD menu and burn the whole thing to a DVD.

I am learning just like you....for may own enjoyment/interest.

Tutorials written and in video format abound for these programs.

Go Oilers!

Last edited by Ahnos; 25-05-2006 at 04:46 PM.