Thread: Senior thesis
View Single Post
# 3 10-01-2010 , 05:06 PM

Originally posted by mikeyduf
First video

in fact... you should try to add dead trees around, maybe a graveyard... and a forest... or more houses... because we can see that this is a single plane.

If you are in maya you also should try the fur system to get a nice grass without loosing your time. But if you don't come close to the ground... a bump map with a nice texture can do the job.

And the sky is hard to make a realistic one... you have to find a good HDR image of a sky and do a sphere with the texture in (in the mental ray indirect lights settings there's a way to create it and it also give a kind of.. light)

1) Trees would be good, I was thinking of using the stuff provided in VISOR so that I don't have to build my own. I already tested it in a separate file and it looks like that might be the simplest way to go for me.

2) Graveyard wouldn't be necessary, as it is supposed to look like an ordinary renovated hotel and (to me at least) the graveyard would give it away. I've considered adding in more houses, a couple hills, driveway, gravel, ect.

3) The fur system sounds like a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

4) Hmm. I'll have to keep searching for a sky I guess. I do believe I have downloaded a sky texture a while ago I might wanna import into the file.

Second video
the arms are supposed to be flying or attached to somebody? if they are supposed to be flying its a nice shot but you should try to make something like... fog coming out of the arms like if it was a ghost (personal idea) with particles or something like that

They're kinda supposed to be a combination of flying and attached. Originally the mist was supposed to follow the arms to add a more of a spooky feel, but I have been unsuccessful in trying to duplicate that so right now they're just flying. I was considering on messing around with particles to make it appear as though the hands were pushing through the fog, but I haven't gotten around to it yet or know of a simple way to do it. As it is, I'm still doing research on the simplest and most realistic method. I might just in the end change the camera position to give the illusion that the mist is either following it, or the body is simply hidden in the fog.

hope my comments help!
and I have one question
Are you studying in 3D or in cinema?
I can't wait to see more of your project =)
have fun

Cinema, with a focus on 3D. Only one in the film department doing such a thing.

Thanks for the comments, they were helpful.