View Single Post
# 59 29-08-2008 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Bluethunder
Oh, and chirone, you said normal maps and texture maps....? Would I need a bump map too, since the buttons protrude a bit from the controller? (some of them). If so, how do I go about making one specifically for the wii remote? if not, ignore that user added image

I'm assuming that I'd basically just put the image that I'm using for my image planes onto the object? (ie, UV texturing? Just a second ago it sounded really simple... "UV" seems to strike fear into my heart now user added image )

bump map is the original way to show bumps and other such details on surfaces without adding extra geometry

you can use either bump or nomral, i'm not sure if normal is more realistic than bump though.

the difference between them is taht bump uses only greyscale pictures to determine what parts are raised/depressed
normal maps use the rgb channels to do it (i think, im pretty sure its only using 3 channels)
i think you can only have one of the other? i've never tried applying more than one texture or bump/normal map

for hints on how to create yourself a normal map check out mike's free game texturing tutorial here.
actually now that i think of it, if you use normal mapping you'll still want to make the geometry so you can get the map. In that case just use some cylinders and cubes as GecT suggested and then just sow them on.

as for texturing using the images you have in your image planes you just hook em up to your materials and then in the UV editor you just play around with the UVs

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D