View Single Post
# 6 11-01-2011 , 07:57 PM
Administrator
Sounds like a pretty tiny market in South Africa Vortexxuser added imageBut yeah like Jay said start by getting yourself an overview of all fields of the program and then move onto specializing in one or two fields. It makes life easier to have a book on the side of tutorials as well I think, Introducing Maya from Sybex will give you a good general overview.

The best way to go would be to learn some basic modeling, followed by some UV layout and texturing, then get some basic lighting skills in place. When you have this you can move onto dynamics, rigging and animation - these fields are a bit more complicated so it's a good idea to learn the other fields before moving on to this makes life easier if you understand geometry.

I do lighting and shading myself, I'm not very good in any other field in Maya beyond the basics. This is why you specialize, it takes many years to get really good in just one field, so when you see great work posted up on forums there's a lot of time gone into it. And there's always more to learn for most of ususer added image So keep your head up, be critical of your own work, and remember that Maya takes time and patience and you'll be fine.