View Single Post
# 2 12-09-2005 , 03:22 PM

Image plane gone bad

Hey Joahjoah,

I'm also a complete newbie to Maya and still learning the basics. I've got Maya 6.5 and I also experienced problems when using Imageplanes. When I changed from one viewport to another, the viewports turned white and before I knew it maya.exe was using 50% of my CPU.

I started looking on other forums and found the following tip :

The Problem: Setting up an image plane on a camera freezes / Crashes Maya. I use a Radeon 9800 XT Classic, with the latest drivers (at the time of writting).

The Fix:
- Right click "My Computer" on your desktop, and go to Properties.
- Click the "Advanced" tab.
- At the bottom of this window, click the "Environment Variables" button.
- Under "USER VARIABLES" section of this window, click NEW. Name this variable the following, exactly as written: MAYA_SLOW_DRAWPIXELS and set its value to 1.

This fixed the problem for me. now when i add an image plane, i can rotate my view and pan around as normal.

This will fix the problem for whichever user is currently logged on. If multiple users are using the machine and need the fix, simply repeate the above steps but for the SYSTEM VARIABLES section of the environment variables window.

UNQUOTE

Don't know if it's going to solve your problem but it's worth trying. In any case it solved mine.

I also read that some who are experiencing problems with imageplanes are using polyplanes in stead.

Hope it helps,

Myst_88