View Single Post
# 3 12-02-2010 , 04:10 AM
Well I don't really know why people think booleans are so hard to control.

Here is my test case, but I forgot to save the boolean parts before deleting history...

user added imageuser added image

But that is okay because I then used google image to look at revolver cylinders and found that a lot of them have an indent in the sides so it gave me a chance to do an even more complex boolean. The whole operation took me about 5 minutes to set up, boolean, and clean up.

user added imageuser added image

Booleans are not the evil that many would have you believe. You just have to think about what you are doing.

Even I goof up. After booleaning I realized I would have been better served to use a 12-side polygon for the outer cylinder since there are 6 holes and 6 indents. It was not hard to fix though as you can see at step 3 I just pulled the center vertices for the indented bits out using a 12-sided cylinder as my guide. (actually I just did 1 segment and then deleted everything else and made 5 copies rotating by 60 degrees for each copy). Even having to do all that, it still took me 5 minutes to complete the task.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 12-02-2010 at 04:16 AM.