View Single Post
# 33 27-02-2004 , 07:21 AM
Ankalagon -

Not sure I understand your question but,

The tutorial is a polygon modeling tutorial from start to finish of the dragon head.

During the course of the video the author starts by massing out the basic shapes using nurbs. Then converts the nurbs to polygons and continues to add details - switching to subdivision surfaces from time to time to make futher refinements.

The tutorial can be found here:

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=65

There is also a follow on tutorial to model the dragons body. I plan on doing that next.

The body tutorial can be found here:

https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...html?tut_id=70

The author is Kurt Boutilier and he does a fine job.

In the head tutorial he covers basic massing of the model using nurbs. Basic polygon modelling including the most often used polygon editing commands. Using modify>convert>poly to subd and visa versa to quickly view the smoothed model and refining detail.

The body tutorial which I starting watching today has some really super tips on socking joints, creating toes and nuckle details. The body tutorial also has a nice quick and simple 3 point lighting section at the very end.

Kurt demonstrates the basic principles in each of the video sections. Between sections he sometimes adds some details and refinements but always does a good job of describing what he has done between segments.

What the video does not contain is details on anatomy (muscles, bones and such) although by analizing the refinements Kurt makes during the modeling process and in between sections you can sus out the details. However, reviewing some basic anatomy for artist books at your local bookstore will help alot.

I am most deinately not an artist and Iam very much a Newbie using maya (or any 3d modeling software) but these videos were easy for me to follow and I am quite pleased with my results on this head model.

Rich M

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 11:58 AM.