Thread: Mirror Geometry
View Single Post
# 1 29-07-2007 , 12:35 PM

Mirror Geometry

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but am moderately experienced with Maya.

I am running Maya 8.0 and I am having a bit of a problem.

I am currently working on a class project for my school. It's basically just create your own character and render a short animation of him. Well i have him pretty much modeled out but since i model half of him, I need to duplicate the other half over on the other side.

My problem with this is that whenever i try to combine both sides to make a whole, I end up not being able to convert into subdivision. Usually when that happens, there should be a hole somewhere but there isn't.

I have tried many things to try and make the character one whole piece but haven't done it successfully.

I have Duplicated it over and then used the Combine feature, then i manually merge the vertices in the center of both objects. I have tried Mirror Geometry using both of the merge vertices and combine edge options. Mirror geometry gives me horrible results, it merges what i dont want merged and even still i cant convert to Subdivision.

Im sorry for the long post but i was hoping to explain in detail my problem.. If anyone could give me some words of wisdom i would be very grateful. Thank you for your time in reading this.