Thread: New Project
View Single Post
# 216 14-02-2008 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

arran: I did a bit of celebrating on the evening I finished it, unfortunately I had to take it to university the next day (a 5 hour round trip!) and I wasn't feeling too good. Next time I'lll wait until the weekend!

DJ: Yep, it's Danny Elfman, the theme tune to Beetlejuice to be precise. If memory serves me correctly it too has an intro which is the path of a fly, much like Men in Black.

The first person camera's in te ward scene were totally intentional, later in the film they were used as a time saving device (don't tell anyone though!!). I'll address all that if I ever come back to this project.

The reading guy is actually a recycled model from my second year animation so he's a little more primative than the other two characters. Nell has a good mesh, I think it's her blendshapes which let her down in the mouth department. I will probably be recycling her for future use and will spend a little more time on the facial stuff then.

Mirek: You're becoming a perpetual student!!!

I'm not sure where the story came from, it pretty much just happened, I knew I wanted to have a little girl as the main character and she was to go on an adventure (initialy using a red balloon as her means of transport) to another world where she would defeat the bad guy and then wake up wondering whether it really happened. I guess I didn't stray too far from the original synopsis in the end it just evolved a little.

We were told at the end of second year that we needed to have a project proposal ready to present for the second week of third year so I guess we had about 4 months to get the project set in concrete and to a presentable state which we could follow through to the end.

The characters..... I'm no pen to paper artist and as such the characters were born from a bottle of wine, my inability to draw people in proportion and the fact I'm quite easily pleased. I guess I pretty much knew what I wanted them to look like so designing them wa fairly straight forward.

The storyboard took about a day and a half to draw (like I said, I'm no pen to paper artist!). I made the characters first so had a couple of weeks to get the story right in my head. You can take a look at it here.....

STORYBOARD LINKAGE

.... Not the greatest piece of art but I remained quite faithful to my original idea.

Animatics weren't really a concious part of the process with this project, yeah I roughed out the animation and developed from it but never actually set out to specifically create an animatic. If you're working in a group, they're essential so that people know where things go and when they're meant to happen but as I was working alone I knew how I wanted it and so the storyboard was enough for me.

From start to finish I think it took me about 8 months to complete the animation.

Phew..... you ask a lot of questions!

Dave: Top man, Cheers!

Louis: Check out "The Seventh Seal" by Ingmar Bergman, that's where I got the idea from. OK it's a 50 year old Swedish film but it has it's moments of inspiration. Or you could watch "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey" which also had a pastiche of the seventh seal in it where they end up playing twister etc. with Death.... Their Excellent Adventure was better though!

Si: Cheers mate, unfortunately my time to relax is restricted to this weekend. I've still got a group prpoject to complete and a photography project to start. They shouldn't be too tough to complete on time though. Good luck with yours, I just saw the PM you sent and am looking forward to having a look at your traffic tool.

OK, that pretty much covers everything I think. All I got to say now is cheers and thanks for tuning in.

Oh yeah..... If you could show it to anyone who you might think will employ me that would be cool too! Contact details are somewhere on my website.

Th...Th...Th...That's all folks,

Mat user added image

Click here to visit my site