Thread: An ask....
View Single Post
# 15 24-12-2010 , 02:57 PM
Lifetime Member

short story long :)

Pre-Simplymaya I felt like a kid repeating the first grade over and over user added image I was trying to nut it out all alone for along time. I had VERY high expectations, I was expecting to Animate before I could model, render out a char firing a Kamehameha before I had done ANY dynamics or Rendering. I didnt comprehend for ages just how much work and experience was going to be required to model and texture and rig my two chars before I could Animate them doing fight choreography. (The thing I REALLY REALLY want to do)

When I was introduced to Maya I was told how to create a sphere, then half hour later we were manipulating it's bouncing motion in the graph editor, told what buttons to push to break free weighted tangents..... The next day I was given access to a fully rigged char and had a play.... "This 3D thing is EASY" I would have been heard to say....

Needless to say I never learnt much.. after I crashed and burned horribly I did nothing with 3D for two years . This site and its members have been better teachers than the 'proffessionals' I paid. Many noobs here appear to be trying to teach themselves, with help/guidance/prodding from others.

This threads 'point' was keeping the level of replies to the level of the forum its in?? Hell no! match them to the question asked I say. Miss_Nova has also brought up posting in the right forum recently, I am a little confused. When you are a TOTAL noob you're probably going to ask questions about Modelling first up. Then you'll have issues with texturing... I think noobs SHOULD ask these questions in the Beginner/Newbie forum- Not the dedicated forums. What Newb questions are there that don't fit elsewhere?

I didnt have a clue how to make a Jubilating crowd, and still don't really.. But I appreciated the answer of "Massive" Whether or not I am capable of Using/Affording massive- I'd never heard of it and now I have, I looked it up, read about it, watched video examples of times it's been used. Thank You.

Izea asked three questions in like 4 posts in three different forums- How do you make a 3D Film? how do I make a stadium full of thousands of jubilating people? and how do I model a set of teeth? I posted nothing as I couldnt phrase my advice diplomatically enough...No-one gets shot down in flames here, everyone says thats whats so great. But -Incredibly complex questions WILL be asked by us beginners, often in the beginners forum as thats the level we think we're at.

The correct answer is the correct answer even if its over my head, no? Some of you can read a question and realise I need to take a step back (take several other steps first) Speaking for myself-- give it to me straight. Give me the answer to the question I asked, in whatever forum I (perhaps mistakenly) post it. If I dont know maya enough to understand the answer I might wake up to something. But the answer will be in the forums for others later or me when I get to the right level.

Learn from others mistakes, it takes too long to make them all yourself.