View Single Post
# 1 08-11-2010 , 04:50 PM

Hard Edges and Even spacing of Meshes

Can someone point me in the direction of a Tute or Vid that will help me understand maintaining a manifold geometry (think thats the term) While adding detail.

Wanted to model the house I grew up in in Hong Kong, as the house is basically a box I didnt think I'd have any problems. I roughed out the shape easy enough, I then created a Sub Div proxy and started laying down new edge loops on the Rough poly one (proxy?) to harden edges around windows and balconies and such. Tying up ends of four sets of three edges defining the outer rim of the window sill and the four sets of three parrallel lines defing the recessed edges where the glass sits was easy enough as they looped and ran into each other, but with the corners as these edges come out to the wall they of course cut nice quads into 6 sided or even 8 sides polys. I tried to just run them from one window across the wall to meet the ones coming out of the next window keeping the mesh all Quads. This results of course in thin bands running off each and every edge and looks like crud. Its obviously NOT the way its meant to be done... Any pointers would be much appreciated.