View Single Post
# 13 21-11-2009 , 09:24 PM
I am going to post shots of the build from the bottom up as I go through naming and putting the parts into their hierarchy.

I plan to do the same for the high-res build. I was gonna do some images of the process going from the proxy to the high-res parts.

If I can I was going to try to put together a couple camtasia videos showing some of the stuff I have recently figured out like rigging the three cylinder actuators used in the robot. I am also working on a short video to show how to use the mental ray contour option to make wire frame renders.

I learned alot from this video and although it was geared towards modo I find the basic workflow works well for Maya. I originally thought the tools in modo really put Maya to shame but after putting this model together I'd say the only features I wish maya had is the asset management system, some better axis alignment control (like action centers), the background constraint object, and a more reliable inset and thicken tool.

The main weakness I find in maya is axis alignment. They finally added options to align to edge and face for the move tool but scale and rotate axis are still wonky!

You have to create a helper object, align it, parent the part to it, and freeze transforms to get control of the scale and rotate axis. This really slows work flow.

I need to get some sleep though for now.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 23-11-2009 at 03:06 PM.