View Single Post
# 1 15-09-2005 , 10:24 PM

Merging Edges (Poly)

Hello,

This is my first model. I really have only done a simple robot character for Lynda's tutorials, a spaceship tutorial, and part of the free dog tutorial. I am trying to model the Magnum Research Desert Eagle XIX .50 AE in Matt Black. I used three reference images and after a few tries (I am a terrible drawer by the way), I came up with my side plane to model from.

I want to model, texture, and rig for games, so I am trying out polygons. I was reading a discussion on whether SubDiv, polys, or nurbs are the best option for games, and MtMkinley (SP?) said you should always use polys. So if you are creating a character, you should use polys the whole way through? I also read that people use all of three of them. How does that work? How do you determine what is best with each type?

Anyway, back on topic. I created the basic shape, minus the trigger. The problem is from the back part of the gun to the barrel I have these two little spots where there is space. Originally I had them like right on top of eachother, but I pulled them apart to make it easier to clean up. Every time I try to use "Merge Multiple Edges", it says:

// Warning: polySewEdge8 (Poly Sew Edge Node): No edges were merged, for one of the following reasons:
// - the threshold is too small,
// - face normals of faces adjacent to edges being merged point in opposite directions,
// - the edges and/or contained vertices are nonmanifold.
// - the edges belong to different polygon objects.
// You can solve this problem in one of these ways:
// 1) Edit the Threshold,
// 2) Fix up the face normals using Edit Polygons -> Normals,
// 3) Remove nonmanifold edges or vertices using Polygons -> Cleanup,
// 4) Use Edit Polygons -> Merge Vertices as an alternative.
// 5) Use Polygons -> Combine first to create a single object. //

When I try "Merge Edge Tool", the little tool thing comes up for the cursor, but I can't select any edges. I tried right clicking, selecting edge, but I can't see or select any edges. When I go back to the move tool I can select them fine.

I have played with the settings and threshold, I *tried* to correct the normals (I forgot how to view the direction of all of the normals, so I don't even know if it is a problem), Merge Vertices won't work in this case, and it is already one object. I am having the same problems at the front of the gun where the little metal piece is a situated that helps you aim the gun.

Any ideas? I attached the mb file. I would really appreciate some help! I can't figure it out.

Thank you! :bow:

Technel

PS: Another question that I had was -- do you guys think I should learn all about effects, lighting, creating scenes, and all of that sort of stuff if I only intend on using it to create game models? I am considering doing it professionally in a few years (please don't respond to this user added image). Would it be most beneficial for me to get a better overall scope so if I find myself in unexpected situations (working for a movie studio, perhaps), I can properly function?

Attached Files
File Type: mb magnum research desert eagle.mb (86.9 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by technel; 15-09-2005 at 10:27 PM.