Thread: Taj Mahal
View Single Post
# 21 01-11-2005 , 12:12 PM
thanks :blush: I can't take all the credit it was a real slog 6months+ hard work by 3 people and also the modellers at the start to get all the initial geometry in place. A tutorial on that one would be a bit out of my realm as I was in charge of the statue and the foreground elements. The guy that did the texturing on the building is an awesome matte painter / 2.5d artist.

essentially what we did was this (warning: long ramble ahead user added image) :

1. real life elements were filmed down at Pinewood studios with a motion control camera rig (biggest camera rig I have ever seen!!). So we filmed old style cars,buses vans and extras in period costume. A clean plate was also filmed.

2. We got that camera info in to maya (the track was the biggest pain in the ass ever!) took forever to get it right.

3. I went to piccadilly circus at 7.30am on a sunday (!!!) and took photos of the buildings around there. I had to try to minimise any modern day elements in the photos e.g. buses and huge neon signs user added image I also took photos of the statue for reference.

4. These photos were used by the matte painter to construct the project maps that were projected onto very simple geometry (apart from the signs which were more complex). The advantage of the projection mapping technique is that you don't need to light anything afterwards as the lighting is baked into the texture. This allowed us to quite quickly turnaround a shot that would have been almost impossible for us to produce using uv mapping and traditional lighting techniques. all of this was done with prman and custom in house tools.

5. The foreground statue was lit and rendered in prman again. I used point clouds to "bake in" my ambient occlusion which the shaders then picked up. Displacements were painted in zbrush and applied through prman.The most difficult part was getting the general worn metal look of the statue just right.

6. The whole shot was composited by one of the lead 2d guys here at FS. He did an awesome job pulling it all together, we sometimes felt we'd never finish it!! he graded the whole shot and added the rain at the end (it's a bit hard to see in the avi).

It was a really big team effort from the 3 of us and I think we really pulled of a spectacular shot and it proves what camera projection can achieve.

user added image

A

Ps. If you've got amy questions about the shot just ask.
PPs. Go see the film! it's actually a great little film https://www.pathe.co.uk it's called Mrs Henderson Presents and it's out on the 25th I think user added image (shameless plug!!!! user added image))

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB