Thread: Making a hole
View Single Post
# 7 11-03-2005 , 02:20 PM

Originally posted by alfabreeze
Draw a square (or a higher-sided polygon, depending wich level of smoothnes are you working at) on the surface you want to extrude with the "Split polygons Tool"; once you've hit "enter" you can select the faces inside the new shape and delete 'em to have a simple hole, or extrude 'em in/outwards.
(Once you've done, beware of three and five sided polygons and clean'em up to 4-sided ones).

Hmm ... with the Split Polygons Tool I was only able to cut from edge to edge. So I cut 3 times with Subdivisions set to 4, and moved the points around to form a circle like shape. Is this what u mean?

I'm not clear on the 3- 4- 5-sided polygon part. What should I do with the newly create polygons? Cut their edges to divide them all up in 4-sided?
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the purpose of this? I'm from 3DS Max, in where all polygons are automatically arranged in a number of triangular faces with invisible edges. I have no idea how Maya does this coz I haven't been able to get to this triangular faces level in Maya.

Attached Images