View Single Post
# 14 09-09-2008 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
Lets face it we could all do something far more useful with the amount of money they spent on this, 5 billion!!

all this 'God' particle crap, why do they have to bring religion into it. Plus the cell that could cure cancer etc, c'mon they have to learn to harness all this stuff let alone find out all this stuff.

Im gonna have to dissagree with you on this my good man.

Quote from wiki

"It is funded by and built in collaboration with over eight thousand physicists from over eighty-five countries as well as hundreds of universities and laboratories"

It seems to me that the people funding it where using most of their own money which probably wouldn't have gone to the needy anyway (which is a shame but unfortunatley most people have higher priorities). But i'd rather money go to a cause like this instead of being pumped into the war.

As for the God particle i think another quote from wiki should help

"The Higgs boson or BEH Mechanism, popularised as the "God Particle", is a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics; and is the only Standard Model particle not yet observed"

So i dont think it has anything to do with religeon.

And lastly "c'mon they have to learn to harness all this stuff let alone find out all this stuff."

That could be said about anything, A master guitar player dosn't just pick up a guitar one day, stand up and start thrashing out solo's. He has to learn how to harness the potential Power of the guitar, put time and effort into it and then reap the rewards.

It is experiments and projects like this that let them take a big step in the right direction. I dont think people would be basing their whole careers around this experiment if they where unsure if anything good would come of it.

I can understand why people are sceptical about big projects like this, there have been too many times when people where let down by scientific experiments not working. But there still have been scientific breakthroughs from time to time so i am staying optomistic about this one.

But each person is entitled to their own opinions user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge

Last edited by Some Guy; 09-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.