View Single Post
# 1 20-01-2006 , 08:11 PM

Polygons Won't Merge

Hello everyone it's me again with another question.

Ok I'm in Maya 6.5 trying to create a car using polygons. When I use the extrude tool, my polys won't merge and I keep getting an error saying so. I get the same error when trying to extract my polys as well. Part of the problem is that the polys are extruding in opposite directions. I attempted merging all faces and vertices but it didn't completely rid me of my problem. The error message reads that (Sorry I'm at work and don't have the message right in front of me):

1. Threshold may be too small
2. non-monomial(I think) form in opposing direction

and to try

1) adjusting threshold for UV
2) use polygon -> cleanup
3) merge verticies

**A side note is when creating the car I made a few mistakes (being my first time and all) and I deleted some polys and then reconstrocuted them. At one point I created a hole and had to fill it. In the HELP section it pointed out that these may be factors needed to be corrected using the polygon -> cleanup feature.**

Well, I went into the help and found how to adjust the UV threshhold and how to manipulate the clean-up option. but nothing seems to work. Everytime I extract I get the same error.

That's the first dilema. The second one is that I tried for so long to correct it that I tried to start over but when I went to extract an edge accross a semi-circle, it extracts but the final segment reconnects to the original edge.

Any help with either would be greatly appreciated. I've triedto figure this out on my own for about 4 days now and it's getting very old.

Thanx!

- me user added image

"Smart" is knowing your ABCs; "Intelligent" is knowing how to use them.