Thread: Chinook
View Single Post
# 29 06-05-2009 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by meredith
Thanks heaps chirone!
I've set it all up so it can be rendered through the terminal. But i am on a mac so i cant save my multiple commanded txt file as a .bat which maya uses to batch render all the files. Is there anyway of changing this .txt file to a file that maya reads? And how do i execute this in the terminal?
At the moment i have got a separate scene for every camera angle. Is this the best way? or can you just create lots of cameras in the one scene and command it someway to render all cameras?
Thanks for the awesome info chirone, helps really appreciated!
Mark

you can rename a .txt file to a .sh file and run it from terminal
but you need to change the permissions on it first
type:
Code:
sudo chmod 744 script.sh
assuming your file is called script.sh and you've pointed terminal to the directory it resides in
i think you'll need to type in your user's password to
you only need to do that once

then type
Code:
./script.sh
and it should run the .sh file like windows would with a .bat file

so i'm told. i tend to stop paying attention whenever my friend did these terminal hacks... but that's what he says to do

i don't think you can get maya to read the txt files, it only understands .mel and .py
although gster123 mentioned that there are scripts on highend3d that can render different cameras too, but i haven't looked

i'm not sure if having a seperate scene for each camera angle is better than having a single scene with multiple cameras
i thought it more common to do the latter
unless the chinook is referenced in all of the scenes except for the one you're working with i'd say it's better to have all cameras in one scene, that way, when you update the chinook in one scene you don't have to do the same updates in the others. (never used referencing, so i don't know how much effort is involved)
i think it might come down to how you want to organise your files on your disk...

either way you can use the command line.
you are able to tell it what camera to render from and what frames to render.

https://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/m...ender.fm1.html

https://www.jawa9000.com/Technical/ba...-rendering.htm

from the looks of these you can switch the camera using -cam <camera_name>

can't say anything about the colour... i thought that was teh look you were going for

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D