Thread: sculpting tools
View Single Post
# 2 22-06-2003 , 01:24 AM
Hi,

Yeh, Maya's sculpting tools are really nice.

for organic type modeling one method that utilizes CPS poly tools (free download), CPS is a lovely 'toolset' that simulates Maya's Subd but allowing you to use all the Maya poly toolset while you work.

the method I use alot is>

Workin on half my character and using the CPS mirror function so that all the editing of the mesh via artisan (poly sculpt tool) is mirrored onto the other side. NB. Just watch the areas around the seam in the centre.

Sorry a bit long winded....

When using the sculpt polygon tool with the CPS cage I first select the CPS cage and then the sculpt polygon tool. With the Sculpt polygon tool active on the CPS cage I turn off the visability of the the CPS cage layer. Now when I sculpt it looks like I'm sculpting the actual 'hi res 'mesh. this is nice as it allows me to see the smooth 'final product' so to speak while actually using the lo res cage. Nb CPS will mirror the effects of artisan so you don't need to use any artisan mirror, just paint one side.

As for brush shapes, I would suggest just play with them. I tend to use a 'feathered' or 'solid' circular brush with low opacity and displacement. Remember that you can effectuvely undo the sculpting (apart from standard Z on keyboard) by using the erase function of the tool. YOu could paint erase on a specific area or crank up the displacement and opacity and use the 'flood' function to revert the mesh back to the original.

POlygon sculpt tool defaults to using 'Normal' as its reference for sculpting direction (effectively pushing and pulling the mesh along its normal). Try using the 'push and pull' along with X, Y, Z directions in the options.

Anyway hope this helps

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....