View Single Post
# 1 25-01-2006 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber

misunderstanding the chrome shader from Highend3d

Hi there all,
It's me again; the pain in the butt. I got this question though. A couple of days ago I found a thread in here where someone had asked that he found a pre-built chrome shader. He then asked how was it done. A few others replied asking why was he asking this question when he could of just look in the hypershade editor to see how it was done. Now I can see in some respects why they would answer in such a way, but in other respects by being a newbie to this style of rendering, looking at all of the nodes in the hypershade can be very confusing. So I would like to add on my questions in here.

First of all, my biggest question for the day is that I notice there is a place3dTexture in the scene with a bunch of planes, and 2 big wired circles. I never seen this before considering that the futherest that I ever got into 3d placement textures, they were applied to one of the channels on your object, but not by itself in the scene. So I am asking if anyone could help me out that deals with this method of 3d placement maps, such as how do you apply such a thing to itself, and what is this for? In addition, when I place a 3d placement texture onto my object, I get a cube. However, all of the 6 sided planes are on one axis. How is this done?

Oh yeah, by the way, I found this shader at Highend3D