View Single Post
# 7 08-07-2012 , 11:41 AM

You have way to much going on here and so it's hard to diagnose. I would recommend Stewarts suggestion and simply rename you Maya folder (close maya first). On windows that maya folder is in the documents directory.

I have tried the preferences option, and even tried installing on a new system, and every time i get the same thing happen, in that it is OK up until I try to modify a curve in the orthorgraphic views and then I cannot continue because this issue appears!, I have even tried just making a new scene and just having a new curve in this, and still the same thing! It seems to be a bug that must be work aroundable or an option that needs to be switchjed off somewhere, but cannot find anything on the web, except loads of people have had the same issue and Autodesk are NO help.

The next time you start maya all the preferences will be set back to the defaults and whtever mode(s) you have turned on should be reset.

Yep done this....

Maya like all the major 3D apps have lots of hotkeys and so you must be careful especially when pressing the ctrl, alt and shift keys. Unmodified key presses can also get you messed up the most common two are the "b-key" for soft select mode, and the "s-key" for setting keyframes.

I am sure this is the problem, but what ever I hit is not saved in the preferences and replacing the preferences does not have an effect on the issue, in that it is still there when you load the scene, so it must be saved in the scene file, I can start a new scene and the problem is NOT there, Until I try to edit a curve in say the front view, I can create a new scene, not have any curves in it, make a box, right click and see the correct menu options, such as face, vertex etc in the 'front' view, but if i then make a curve (and it does not matter what type of curve), then if i go into ANY orthographic view and right click, the issue has re-appeared and I cannot access the curve at all!

So try to be careful but remember you can always get back to the defaults by renaming or deleting the Maya preferences folder in the Documents directory.

What I like to do is after I set up my shelfs and my own hotkeys I save a copy of this folder and when I inevitably turn on some odd mode I simply replace the folder with this backup.

Thanks for the help anyway, we would love to move to Maya, but just cannot get any support here in the UK, not Pre-Sales and FREE anyway, not unless we purchase the software, and we cant afford to purchase a product that we cannot get to work, not when things are as tight as they are over here.

Thanks anyway.

Chris