View Single Post
# 16 08-02-2005 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by InvaZimm
Sparaig,

I like your suggestion. Tho my only concern is how to combine it with the setup I currently have. Since the buildings are placed at a plane's verts, it suggests that at least 4 faces are used. These faces can be found using the polyInfo command.

However, the problem that occurred to me, is that some of the buildings are wider than 4 faces. This being the case I'm having trouble expanding from the vert and face information easily provided. Is there a way to expand the polyInfo command or is there a command that I have over looked that can do this as well? Would be a lot nicer if you could pick walk with verts.

Use the bounding box to describe the area that the building takes up. Round upwards to the nearest integer, and use the scheme I suggested before. Very few buildings end up right next to each other anyway, so you might want to allow for a sidewalk-sized space between each building by making sure your bounding box is +1 unit (or whatever) in width and length

If you only want sidewalks in certain directions, only add 1 along that border. You can pre-define streets by pre-placing them in the arrays. Ditto with parks, vacant lots and maybe with sidewalks for better control.