Thread: 3DSMAX to MAYA
View Single Post
# 9 26-12-2002 , 08:27 PM
You can do vertex to vertex snaps in Maya. Just make sure vertices are visible on your target shape and you can snap to them simply by holding down the 'v' key while moving your objects or vertices.

Maya does have Max's equivalent of bend, twist, etc. modifiers. They're called Deformers, and they are in the Animation menu set (Deform | Create Nonlinear).

I do miss having the flexibility of Max's modifier stack. But then again, I've run into more problems in Max that are solved by collapsing the stack, so it's a mixed bag.

I'm not sure what you mean by "turn a vertex from linear to cubic". Could you elaborate more?

And, finally, you can add vertices in the middle of preexisting edges by either subdividing the edges for nice even distribution along the edge (select the edge, go to Edit Polygons | Subdivide) or using the Split Polygon Tool for more arbitrary placement (select Split Polygon Tool from Edit Polygons, click on an edge to place a vertex, press Enter, press 'y' to select the tool again, rinse, repeat, lather).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job

Last edited by dannyngan; 26-12-2002 at 08:30 PM.