Thread: 3DSMAX to MAYA
View Single Post
# 11 26-12-2002 , 09:51 PM
Yep, you can do all sorts of fun snapping in Maya. And, unlike Max, the vertex snapping in Maya actually works correctly. Don't believe me? Turn on 3D vertex snapping in Max. Move a vertex on top of another one to snap them. Now zoom WAAAAY in and you'll see that the vertices aren't perfectly aligned. They're off by about .0001 units. It's a small amount, but they're still not aligned correctly.

I understand what you mean now. You're referring to splines in Max. Maya uses NURBS and not splines. NURBS and splines work very differently. NURBS CVs (control vertices) do not have bezier handles like spline control points. I'm not entirely sure on the technical details of that -- that's just what I know. A NURBS curve must maintain a certain degree level -- 1 for linear, 3 for cubic, etc. -- and that does not change within a single curve. You can switch the degree of a curve by rebuilding it (Edit Curves | Rebuild Curve). Rebuilding it will allow you change the degree, adjust the number of CVs, etc. You can also explicitly insert CVs by picking a curve point (Curve Point component mode, click where you want to adjust the curve) and selecting Edit Curves | Insert Knot.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job