View Single Post
# 9 29-02-2008 , 02:24 AM
I assume in the UK that is the case only for those without an impressive reel or experience correct?

I'm just asking for those interested, hehe, I'm FAR too olduser added image (35)

I started working in effects long before the school curriculum's digital programs were even a dream in someone's mind, as it was far too expensive for them at the time, around 1992-93.
I personally didn't get into digital effects untill 94 working in Photoshop v2&3 on an Amiga learning color theory and compositing basics.
By 1999 I was using Maya a lot after the integration of the Dynamation package from the Power Animator days.
That summer in 99 after Maya Fusion was released, I stuck with Fusion as my compositor.
I've been working as an effects compositor ever sinceuser added image

I personally never took any college other than Film, and my reels have always gotten me my jobs.

Ultimately I guess it depends on your experience and your reel, and if the job specifically calls for uni-trained applicants, as a lead artist I would question that.

If you have a great reel and at least 4+ years of production experience, I've found that most shops will look at you regardless.

Just something to think aboutuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com