View Single Post
# 1 21-10-2005 , 07:35 AM

making Final Fantasy-style characters

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been heavily influenced by the cg work of Square-Enix. I want to create characters that look that way. Modeling the body and head won't prove that difficult, but hair is giving me some trouble. Look at the cg shots from the games and Advent Children. I'm not saying I'm trying for that technological peak yet, but I want to make realistic looking hair with kind of an anime twist.

These are my problems:

1.) You cannot paint directly onto a polygonal surfaces but you can do that on nurbs surfaces. However I know nothing about nurbs and whenever i make a polygonal surface, I have to convert it to subdivs, then nurbs, and my computer is always slowed down. What should I do?

2.) ok I have Complete but not Unlimited, but theres gotta be something to do about hair. Should my hair be polygons? The problem with that is massive face counts come from smoothing the head object which includes the hair. Hair is supposed to be in individual locks. I do not want it to be clumped together and stagnant (this is not for a game!).

3.) The only problem with paint effects is hair. The hair looks neat, but its really hard to figure out what looks ok.
Sometimes its way to long, and sometimes certain sides of the hair are not as thick as the other. Theres so many tweaks for the paint effects that its going to take me hours to figure it out.

So, what can i do? You don't have to help me, but at least try to look at the pre rendered cgi from Final Fantasy 8-10. Its really just beautiful. They are so awe inspiring. That stuff is my dream, to one day do that stuff.