View Single Post
# 45 29-02-2004 , 12:30 AM
I should not have said "useless" the tutorial has still taught me alot.

I am just saying as a "beginner" I would rather focus on developing my modeling skills and not dealing with scale and proportion issues in the reference drawings.

I brought the wing and body references into the scene in their exact scale. As drawn the back of the wing would be somewhere in the dragons tail.

Mike and Kurt I understand your points about life in a real studio. But I am not in a real studio. I am trying to learn modeling and that is what beginer tutorials should teach. The reference drawings should be a better fit for the project. As they are they appear to have been provided as an after thought.

I will keep fiddling with them and get the scale right.

But its more work then I want to do as a beginners modeling project and it detracts from the time I spend actually learning modelling skills. That is the point I am making. I'll get it figured out.

I am just trying to make a suggestion that might make your future tutorials better.

Notes (circled numbers on the attached image):

1. The scale of the arm in the wing reference vs. the body reference

2. The back of the wing intersects the tail.

The dimensions of the body and wing reference are drawn on the attached image. If I scale the arm to fit the wing becomes to narrow / short. Trying to stretch the model means I lose the benifit of the contour lines on the reference since the model no longer fits the reference. That's what I meant by the project turns into a free form sculpting project.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 12:10 PM.