View Single Post
# 11 13-02-2007 , 06:32 AM
19 year Veteran

Yeah, I agree with what your saying and I think thats its kinda stupid that whoevers in charge thinks that CGI should only be animated in the goofy styled animation that they use. I mean, I suppose they think thats what their audience likes but really, if you never show them anything different, how do you know they actually like it? You never know, they might like something else as well or even more than the cheap movies with cows and barns.

Well, you have to consider the demograpghics in this case. Who is more willing acccept something thats not firmly grounded in reality as opposed to reality. The answer is kids. Kids will more or less accept anything that jumps, spins, walks, talks, and moves in a humorus fashion. Adults however are more critical of these points. Adults more or less accept themes that are better grounded in reality, as in the case of Jurrasic Park, or Terminator for example where the themes are more of an adult nature that portray a more believeable setting as opposed to a less believable setting.

The movies that blend both demographics together are more out to bring in audiences of all ages, and are usually alot more sucessful and bring alot more profit to the studios but are alot more coslty$$ to make. Those movies have to have good storys and effects in order to make back a good profit. The SHREK franchise is a fine example. Pixar uses this formula aswell, and they do extremely well at the box office every time they open a movie, and they are extremely proud of their product.

Your general run of the mill CG movie for kids are alot cheaper to make and make the money back quick. I see alot of families spend alot of money on these cheap CG flicks, and the most intresting thing I see from these movies are a few empty beer bottles at the end of the show, and I'm pretty shure the beer industry makes good money every time a crap CG flick opens in theaters.

I cant say much about the toy industry, they cater to alot of adults now days aswell. There are a few studios that market toys from very violent horror movies in various stores, and they make alot of money from them.